Friday, 13 April 2007

white feather of cowardice, peace ...


"burying (one's) head in the sand" (like an ostrich) is said to be foolishly ignoring a situation, while hoping it will magically vanish. The ostrich does many things, but hiding its head in the sand is not one of them.

So I've been doing a bit of 'burying' for the last while now. Procrastinating even. Weeks, maybe months, I hear you thinking, well for some of my friends it's been years! So here follows the abridged version of life.

In case you've forgotten what I look like - well this is me. Yip, as you can tell, not much has changed! At the end of last year I moved from Tassie back to Sydney to start studying at Moore Theological College. While being a bit sad to leave friends behind, this has been an enormous adventure and quite an experience.

Who would've thought that full-time studying (again) could be so demanding! I've started learning Greek, which makes me feel a bit more like a geek, (as I incorrectly labelled a few of my files). It's such a different language but a bit like a puzzle, you have all the pieces and need to make them fit in order for it to make sense. Other favourite subjects include Church History and Doctrine, where else does one get to spend masses of time exploring and delving into the Word?!

I am currently working at a small church in the 'burbs called All Saints' West Lindfield, co-ordinating their children's ministry. The rest of my life seems to be consumed by college life. Living in community, on site, takes a fair bit of getting used to I've found. More energy and time than I was originally anticipating! Now that things have settled down a bit, the girls down the hall are not merely names to me anymore and with many new friends, life seems to be getting back to a normal pace again, whatever normal is.

College is a strange place, where everyone in one sense or another, knows what you are doing, with whom and when. It's been affectionately referred to as the fish bowl syndrome. It's difficult to explain but for you who are far away, this is how it is: my hours are essentially spent between only a few regular activities of eating, reading, swimming, painting, catching up with people and frequent trips to Campos. Campos is one of the best coffee shops I've been to, producing velvety smooth lattes with enough caffeine to keep anyone happy. I'm almost a bit embarrassed to say that it's one of my weekly highlights. Either that indicates the level of passive activity I've become accustomed to lately or the truly deliciousness of this coffee. I'm sure that if I were a poet, many amazing things could be written about this coffee and the place. I however am not, so when you're up visiting, we'll have to pay them a visit, to share the caffeine experience or at the very least, fuel my desire for more!

Well, this was meant to be an abridged version, so I'll keep it at that. Not else exciting happening here at the moment!