Sunday, 8 April 2007

to blog or not to blog

I've been grappling with the whole concept of blogging for a while now and have finally succumbed to the peer pressure of the masses. Or perhaps it's my innate desire to tell my story and be heard by the virtual realm out there? Or perhaps it's even that as a teacher I love talking and storytelling is one of my passions?

As I've been working through this dilemma, of recently moving and trying to maintain contact with old friends and other random groups of people, it is with feigned trepidation that I begin this journey on writing about my thoughts and experiences, for the world to read, mentally judge and perhaps criticise. I fear that committing something to writing makes it all the more real. Thoughts start becoming something in that grey, foggy existence of reality when uttered outside of your own head. That requires me to act upon them, rather than just filing them away into the oblivion that my mind can sometimes become.

The intention with all this writing is to keep my friends informed, in one spot, of what's been happening, to think through and dissect interesting things and concepts, and raise awareness of things that I think are important. My Greek lecturer recently challenged us to consider pleonasms and tautology, this has been somewhat of an inspiration for this blog name. I've decided to go with undisclosed reticence as an introduction to the world of blogging, not wanting to use our class' favourite of stupid idiot!