in preparation for an impending mid-year Greek exam, a lot of my time lately has been devoted to studying this language. So much, in fact, that the commitment needed is starting to place strain on the experience. My relationship with Greek has been a fascinating time so far, going from barely recognising it, to getting to know it and is now getting pretty intense. Most of my waking hours are spent thinking about it, wondering what to do with it, how it works and why I don't understand it as well as I would like to.
Some days it is all just kakos (evil, bad) and not worth the effort. Others seem much better when I can actually translate bits of it! And yet there is the challenge that constantly lingers and drives me to find out more. I can only image that it is a similar thing to the chase between a man and an attractive, interesting woman. Having never been a man, I can only speculate from friends' observations. But I want to know what it is. Perhaps it's discovering how the original writers expressed their experience with the Christian gospel or unlocking different levels of meaning lost or dulled through translation. Ultimately I am spending more time reading the New Testament trying to understand who God is and how he works, and if that means battling it out in very baby steps with words that are not yet familiar, that is a very small price to pay than not knowing him at all.